- Dust and Death: Evidence from the West African Harmattan (with Achyuta Adhvaryu, James Fenske, Anant Nyshadham and Richard Stanley). Centre for the Study of African Economies, 2016; r&r Economic Journal
- The Role of Information and Cash Transfers on Early Childhood Development: Evidence from Nepal (with Michael Levere and Gayatri Acharya). NBER Working Paper No. 22640, 2016
- Health Endowments and Unemployment during Macroeconomic Crises (with Petter Lundborg and Dan-Olof Rooth), 2015. Revise and resubmit: Journal of Health Economics
- Displacement and Development: Long-term Impacts of Population Transfer in India (with Rinchan Ali Mirza) r&r: Explorations in Economic History
- Perverse Consequences of Well Intentioned Regulation: Evidence from India’s Child Labor Ban (with Leah Lakdawala and Nicholas Li). NBER Working Paper No. 19602, 2013. Blog mentions in Wall Street Journal, Business Insider and Cato Institute. Online Appendix forthcoming: Journal of European Economic Association
- Releasing the tide: How has a shock to the acceptability of gender-based sexual violence affected rape reporting to police in India? (with McDougal L, Krumholz S, Bhan N, and Raj A.) Journal of Interpersonal Violence (2018).
- Mental Health Stigma (with Mallesh Pai and Agne Suziedelyte). Economics Letters, Vol 159, October 2017, pp. 57-60
- Gray Matters: Fetal Pollution Exposure and Human Capital Formation (with Matthew Gibson, Joshua Graff Zivin and Christopher Neilson). Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, Vol 4(2), June 2017, pp. 505-542
- Health at Birth, Parental Investments and Academic Outcomes (with Juan Eberhard and Christopher Neilson). Journal of Labor Economics, Vol 36(2), April 2017, pp. 349-394
- Birth Weight in the Long Run (with Petter Lundborg and Dan-Olof Rooth). Journal of Human Resources, January 2017
- The Gender Gap in Mathematics: Evidence from Middle and Low Income Countries (with Giacomo De Giorgi, David Hansen and Christopher Neilson). Economic Development and Cultural Change, Vol 65(1), October 2016, pp. 141-166
- Early Life Exposure to the Great Smog of 1952 and the Development of Asthma (with Joshua Graff Zivin, Jamie Mullins and Matthew Neidell). American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Vol 194(12), July 2016, pp. 1475-1482
- Maternal Education and Child Mortality in Zimbabwe (with Karen Grépin). Journal of Health Economics, December 2015, Vol 44, pp. 97-117
- The Partition of India – Demographic Consequences (with Asim Khwaja and Atif Mian). International Migration, August 2015, Vol 53(4), pp. 90-106
- Fertility and Rural Labor Market Inefficiencies – Evidence from India. Journal of Development Economics, July 2015, Vol 155(C), pp. 217-232
- Effects of Short Term Measures to Curb Air Pollution: Evidence from Santiago, Chile (with Jamie Mullins). American Journal of Agricultural Economics, July 2015, Vol 97(4), pp. 1107-1134
- Impact of Changes in Marriage Law – Implications for Fertility and School Enrollment. Appendix Tables Journal of Human Resources, July 2015, Vol 50(3), pp. 614-654
- Smoking Bans, Maternal Smoking and Birth Outcomes (with Julian Johnsen and Katrine Løken). Norwegian Press Coverage 1 & 2. Journal of Public Economics, July 2014, Vol 115(C), pp. 72-93
- Do the Educated Know More About Health? Evidence from Schooling and HIV in Zimbabwe (with Jorge Agüero). Economic Development and Cultural Change, April 2014, Vol 62(3), pp. 498-517
- Discrimination Begins in the Womb: Evidence of Sex Selective Prenatal Investments (with Leah Lakdawala). Journal of Human Resources, Winter 2013, Vol 48(1), pp. 71-113. Online Appendix Code. Featured in Indian Express & other news outlets.
- Early Life Health Interventions and Academic Achievement (with Katrine Løken and Christopher Neilson). Online Appendix American Economic Review, August 2013, Vol 103(5), pp. 1862-1891
- Changes in the Characteristics of American Youth – Implications for Adult Outcomes (with Joseph Altonji and Fabian Lange). Journal of Labor Economics, October 2012, Vol 30(4), pp. 783-828
- Partition, Migration and Jute Cultivation in India (with James Fenske). Journal of Development Studies, April 2012, Vol 48(8), pp. 1084-1107. Data Code
- Cognition impact of sand and dust storms highlights future research needs? – Comment (with Jennifer Burney). The Lancet Planetary Health, Vol 2(5), May 2018, pp. e196-e197
- Early Childhood Health and Development in India: A Review of the Evidence and Recommendations for the Future (with Achyuta Adhvaryu and Sam Krumholz). India Policy Forum, July 2016
- Crises and Human Biology (with Tom Vogl). The Oxford Handbook of Economics and Human Biology, October 2015
- Secondary Education and HIV Infection in Botswana – Comment (with Karen Grépin). The Lancet Global Health, August 2015, Vol 3(8), pp. e428-e429
- The Partition and its Aftermath: Empirical Investigations (with Kevin Quirolo). A New Economic History of Colonial India, edited by: Thirthankar Roy, Bishnupriya Gupta, Anand Swamy and Latika Chaudhary, August 2015, pp. 233-257
- Gender Discrimination in the Family (with Gordon Dahl and Ketki Sheth). The Economics of the Family, ed. by Esther Redmount, ABC-Clio Publishers, 2015, pp. 237-266
- Atmospheric Air Pollution and Birth Outcomes (with Juan Eberhard). August 2008
- The Big March – Migratory Flows After the Partition of India (with Asim Khwaja and Atif Mian). Economic and Political Weekly, August 2008, Vol 43(35), pp. 39-47 Right click here and choose save or download for data used in the partition papers. The data will appear in .jpeg format. Delete the extension and replace with .zip. Then use any standard unarchive software. Grants from the South Asia Initiative at Harvard made this data collection possible.
- Coming of Age: Timing of Adolescence and Gender Identity Formation (with Julie Cullen).